Thursday, September 09, 2004

Crap

Last night, I went out for dinner with my buddy, Tom, for some good Japanese food by the sea. We had a good conversation about manhood, theology, education, careers, politics, and girls. I've pondered for a long time about what I want to do with my life and where I want to go with it. Tom asked me what I was most interested in to which I responded, I'm not sure. I think there are many things, but as for a defined one, it's hard to say. For a long time, my dream job was to be involved in missions or become a Canadian Coast Guard officer. I think it's still there. Lately, I've been considering joining the Navy, but I really have to think and pray about that one. The difficulty being handling the corruption and state of mind in service.

After achieving a degree, it takes humility to accept an hourly waged job. I ask myself what the hell I'm doing at Kinko's, but it is a job and an income for me. I believe at this stage in my life God has placed me there for a reason. The reason being that my co-workers have noticed my lifestyle. I've had many spiritual conversations at work. I hang out with my Muslim friend from work quite a bit and we've had deep conversations about faith, love, and life in general.

I hope to find a career that will give me a sense of purpose and fulfillment. I pray I don't end up having a career to buy even more crap I don't need. It slowly creeps on you when God seems further away. Tom and I discussed how in North America we live in a society where we don't have to fight to get our basic needs: food, water, shelter, and clothing. We're past that. Now we fight to show off.

There is a great quote from the movie, "Fight Club" that speaks volumes.

"I see in fight club the strongest and smartest men who have ever lived -- an entire generation pumping gas and waiting tables; or they're slaves with white collars. Advertisements have them chasing cars and clothes, working jobs they hate so they can buy shit they don't need. We are the middle children of history, with no purpose or place. We have no great war, or great depression. The great war is a spiritual war. The great depression is our lives. We were raised by television to believe that we'd be millionaires and movie gods and rock stars -- but we won't. And we're learning that fact. And we're very, very pissed-off."

Peace.

1 Comments:

Blogger Mindy said...

Good post, very real! I like that! It's true our society is so spoiled that now we take things like water, heat, etc. for granted every day! I do too! We need to be thankful and always refresh ourselves to keep the right perspective, and not be polluted by our society...

Mindy

3:29 PM, September 12, 2004  

Post a Comment

<< Home