Tuesday, January 18, 2005

Battlestar Galactica

Calling all geeks,

Tonight, I rented a movie called "Battlestar Galactica." It was a low budget film made in the 1970s. It became a TV series soon after, although short-lived. Some say it was a rip off of Star Wars, and should have never been made. But then one would have to say that Star Wars was a rip off of Star Trek. Regardless, I enjoyed them all. Battlestar Galactica was a decent movie and I couldn't help but laugh at the flowing robes, disco-era hairstyles, Christmas lit up helmets, and shiny "chrome toaster" Cylon robots. It's amazing how much technology in movie making has changed in just two decades.

Battlestar Galactica is the story of how twelve colonies of man are destroyed after a 1000 year war with the evil Cylon empire. Through deceit, the Cylons were able to destroy the colonies' entire fleet, except for Battlestar Galactica, captained by Commander Adama. Adama orders that all remaining humans from the twelve worlds be gathered up and embark on a journey to find the mythical planet called Earth. It is thought that a thirteenth colony of mankind exists who were lost a millenia ago when humans first left the motherworld, Kobol.

My co-worker told me that Battlestar Galactica had been redone as a new TV series. He was so surprised at how good it was. They made a miniseries as a pilot to test audience reaction to it. It received rave reviews. After making the miniseries, they began making episodes this month.

I went to Futureshop to pick up the miniseries on DVD, and my jaw dropped at how good it was as a TV series. The CGI looks amazing and the story was well written. It airs on Saturday's at 5 pm on the Space channel. They filmed a lot of it in Vancouver. There are even some scenes that take place at SFU.

Sci-fi is great. I enjoyed the original Star Wars triology and the second episode, Attack of the Clones, of the new triology. The first one I didn't like much. Jar-Jar Binks and the kid annoyed me. I'm looking forward to the final installment this May when Luke and Leia are born. Out of all the Star Trek series, I enjoyed Voyager the most. Star Trek: The Next Generation comes close, but is second for me. Now, I have to add the new Battlestar Galactica series to my list of favourites.

To all you geeks out there, go see the new Battlestar Galactica series. You won't be disappointed.

Peace.

1 Comments:

Blogger PakG1 said...

I will have to check it out!

2:28 PM, February 10, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home