Monday, January 24, 2005

Church-Hop

Lately, I've been church-hopping and sometimes I don't bother going to church at all. I do want to be connected with a community, but I have trouble finding one. I'm quick to point out the flaws when I visit a church. I know this isn't very good. I find one church with a good sermon, but can't seem to get fellowship. I find another church with some sort of fellowship, but a sermon that makes me fall asleep. I realize no church is perfect. It's in our human nature to find perfection. We want the perfect church, spouse, job, etc. However, the search is definitely futile.

I think the most satisfaction I get from worshiping God is being involved in a movement. When I was involved with Campus Crusade, I felt I was making a difference and so talks, prayers, fellowship, praise and worship, and evangelism made sense. They became more meaningful. Now that I'm working, I am disconnected and discontent. Although, I've had some great discussions with my co-workers about Jesus and what it means to be a Christian. I keep thinking about the future and how I want to make a difference in the world for God's glory. Church just doesn't seem helpful right now.

I went to a Pentecostal church this morning with my buddy, Brian and his wife, Vanessa. We saw some of the girls Vanessa teachs from the Dance Barn Studio, a dance ministry, perform on stage. They were great. I knew there would be some sort of dancing going on at a Pentecostal church. When the pastor spoke about how the harvest is here and the time is now, it made me think how every Sunday it seems the time is now. The next Sunday, I would imagine the same message and the time is now. How long has it been? I guess it's to motivate the congregation to take an active role in their faith, but is it really pushing them forward? They raise their hands and want to see their friends saved, but is it really what they want? It just seems like a Sunday thing to me. Then again, I could be wrong and friends are getting saved.

My lifestyle is quite different than what it used to be a few years ago. I'm a bit more liberal in thinking, yet hold conservative values. Christian Hip Hop, Alicia Keys, and Coldplay have influenced my life in how I view the world. I'm a bit more chill and have left my worries up to the Lord. I've hit a plateau in my faith. I only hope that it grows somehow. I must make the first move.

Peace.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Arnold...nice new site! Thanks for giving me the link. I do LOVE CANADA! Especially Whistler, Its soo nice and pretty. Ive been there in July, so in the town it was like 90 degrees, but we did take the ski lifts 14,000 ft. to the top where there was snow. So pretty, hope I can go back soon!
--jess

5:29 PM, January 24, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

yo man, that's so true. amen. I totally understand.
Hey we should get together when I'm in town and go for coffee or something.

John

8:21 PM, January 26, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey! really nice site ya got here. thanks for all your nice comments. and really, i shouldnt worry about tomorrow, but its so hard! i'm sure you know! ok i gotta head to class....ttyl, sara

11:19 AM, January 27, 2005  
Blogger S. said...

Hi Arnold, I think that the "harvest time" could span a many number of centuries in the era of the church. But I hope that your plateau doesn't get you too discouraged. Keep pressing on.

10:55 AM, January 28, 2005  
Blogger Nat said...

Hey Arnold,

I can relate to the whole church-hopping thing. I recently changed churches from Hyde Creek (my home church for 10+ years) to Heritage Mountain. I was really tough to leave but I knew that it was something that I had to do. I love my new church - our purpose statement is "loving God, loving people, building his church." Loving God, loving people . . . that's where it's at. So basic yet so important. I'm not sure where you live but that was my little plug for HM. :o)

10:13 PM, January 29, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home