Monday, September 12, 2005

Fire!


A fire began at around 4 pm last night in Burns Bog and has grown to 170 hectares in size. About 30 Delta firefighters are battling the blaze as well as 6 air tankers and 3 helicopters. The fire is difficult to put out and can take up to 2 weeks to fully extinguish the flames. The reason is that the bog is made up of a thick layer of highly flammable peat. I remember a fire like this one in 1996 about the same size. I saw the flames leaping onto trees as I came home from BCIT over the Alex Fraser Bridge today. It was an incredible sight to see.

These photos were taken from my front balcony. The fire is across the main highway about a 5 minute drive from my house.

1 Comments:

Blogger S. said...

Arnold! We have great minds ... I was thinking when I got home from work, that it might be nice to take a picture of it from your balcony. So I'm glad you got it. It looked bizarre yesterday evening when Axl and I were driving around Scott Road. It was just this massive smoke cloud that was obscuring the sun which was this perfect red circle.

8:22 AM, September 13, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home