Friday, July 15, 2005

Twixter

"Twixter" is a new term that describes a young adult between 18-25 years old and even beyond who is stuck between two stages: adolescence and adulthood (Time, 2005). They are called "kidults" because they don't assume adult defining roles such as purchasing a house and having their own family. I discovered this term from an article I read on iamnext.com taken from Time Magazine.

"Social scientists are starting to realize that a permanent shift has taken place in the way we live our lives. In the past, people moved from childhood to adolescence and from adolescence to adulthood, but today there is a new, intermediate phase along the way. The years from 18 until 25 and even beyond have become a distinct and separate life stage, a strange, transitional never-never land between adolescence and adulthood in which people stall for a few extra years, putting off the iron cage of adult responsibility that constantly threatens to crash down on them. They're betwixt and between. You could call them twixters." (Lev Grossman, Time, 2005)

You could be a "Twixter" if one of the following applies to you.

  • You finished college, but still living with your parents.

  • Your video game collection rivals Blockbuster's.

  • You eat out so often that you top your neighbourhood restaurants' "most valuable customer" list.

  • Your credit card bills and loan repayment reminders outnumber your family's cumulative mail.

  • You've had 3 or more addresses in the past 5 years.


I found it hilarious after reading the article because the descriptions match my profile very well. I need to find me a wife soon.

Peace.

2 Comments:

Blogger S. said...

Hey, none of those apply to me! I guess that means I'm officially an adult. Weird.

8:14 AM, July 18, 2005  
Blogger Nat said...

Interesting post - I guess I'm a Twixter too. I've moved 3 times in the last year, forget 5 years!

10:10 PM, July 20, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home