Sunday, September 18, 2005

Game Plan

It's been a couple of weeks so far at BCIT and I've been getting used to studying, reading, and napping. I heard BCIT is unlike most post secondary institutions and I find that to be quite true. For one, I'm taking eight courses which is double what I took in university in one semester. They seem to like to cram everything in and it actually doesn't help much in the learning process. You basically memorize facts and formulas, and hope to do well on assignments and exams. I'm a bit of a slow learner, and I need time to grasp the material and understand it. BCIT feels like I'm being rushed. Another thing is the emphasis on group work which I disliked in university. BCIT emphasizes a lot on group work and there are quite a few assignments that involve it. What annoys me is the scheduling and the fact that everyone on the team is on a different wavelength or thought pattern. I just find it easier to do assignments on my own, but business I guess is about teams and working with others. I find it different in the real world because it's like if I'm in an organization, I'm more serious about the work; in school, not so much.

I've been thinking about switching to Financial Management after this semester. I find Operations Management too broad and I want to narrow in on one area that I can do well in. Thinking about a career has been a difficult process for me. On the one hand, I really want a career and on the other hand, I really don't want to do something I hate. I'm thinking about becoming an accountant, but maybe more like a business consultant. I have asked myself why I want to do that and I don't know if it's cause there is demand for it or that I'm actually interested in it. My real passion is Geography, but not much is out there in terms of careers.

My Plan A is to get hired by the government, related to the field of my degree. Plan B is what I'm doing now and that is going to school to find a job. I hope I find something that I'm passionate about. I hope it will lead me to work on making a difference somehow on people's lives.

I picked up a new CD by Sigur Ros called Takk...I love their music. It keeps me calm, cool, and reflective. They help me to cope with stress, and man, do I need it.

Peace.

1 Comments:

Blogger Nat said...

I forgot that you were back at school. We are BCIT buddies now.
Yup, BCIT is in a league of it's own when it comes to post secondary institutions. I don't think people really get it until they've experienced it. Haha. I think it was Mike F. who described going to BCIT like going to school and having a full time job. It sure is a lot of work. I hope that your studies go well and pray that God guides you down the specific path he has laid out for you.

12:17 PM, September 18, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home