Sunday, September 14, 2008

Salmon Steak

I've been having a lot of chicken and beef as of late and decided to give fish a try. I've never cooked a piece of fish before so to prepare myself I watched a few videos on YouTube. How can I go wrong with the Internet. It seemed like a very simple process of heating the fry pan to medium, adding olive oil, putting in the fish, and topping the fish with salt and pepper.

I headed to the local grocery store and picked up a couple of wild Coho Salmon steaks. I love BC Salmon. Choosing wild over farmed makes a huge taste difference with me preferring the former of course. As I cooked the Salmon, I realize I put a bit too much olive oil in the pan and it started to snap, crackle, and pop violently. I had to turn the heat low, empty some of the oil out, and resume cooking. The result was that the Salmon broke apart because I was worried I would burn it, but it turned out fine. I got a bit of oil on my nice shirt so I washed it in the tub. Next time I cook, I will remember to wear some crappy shirt or get an apron, and add less oil.


Peace.

2 Comments:

Blogger S. said...

Hey Arnie, this looks wonderful! Ya done good!! I [heart] wild salmon and omega-3 [hearts] me.

It's good to fry it skin side down on medium-high heat for a few minutes. If you can't lift the fish off the pan and the skin is sticking to it that means it's not done yet. It'll come off easily when it's cooked and the skin holds the flesh together. Then you can just discard the skin after. EVOO + Salt + Pepper is often the best flavour. Now I totally want to eat salmon for lunch!

10:26 AM, September 14, 2008  
Blogger Justin Alm said...

Dude, this looks gourmet.

10:13 PM, September 15, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home