Sunday, March 18, 2007

Half-Canadian

I had a conversation with my dad the other day about relationships and how I told him that I'd probably marry a white girl or non-Asian. My dad would like me to marry a nice Korean girl and he's even mentioned a couple. But I knew those girls wouldn't be a good choice for me. They aren't even Christian and that for me wouldn't work. My dad thinks they would go to church since I go, but that's just not how it works in regards to where I'm at spiritually. Even mentally and socially plays a large role in who I choose to be with.

I told him that being born in Canada and growing up with Western ideals has made me a completely different man than if I was born and raised in Korea. My dad still has tradition in mind, but I believe in the 28 years he has lived in Canada, he has changed. Although he prefers I be with a Korean girl (which I wouldn't completely object), he would be okay with me marrying a non-Asian.

My dad told me he considers himself Half-Canadian, Half-Korean. He has a Western and Eastern side to him now. He told me he wouldn't make friends with new Korean immigrants because of how different their thinking is. I find it amusing because it makes sense that spending the latter half of his life in Canada would make him Half-Canadian. What's also different about my dad is that unlike some strict Korean father types, he's very loving and always gives me a hug, telling me he loves me almost every other day. I'm thankful for that.

My mom wants me to marry a Korean girl, but she's generally pretty open to whoever I choose. She kind of follows my dad.

I'm glad I have parents that are open at least more so than some of the Korean parents I have encountered. I count it a blessing, and only hope that our relationship will flourish as we understand one another in a dual cultured environment.

Peace.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hm.. my parents are super traditional and my brother (the pioneer) married an All-American girl and they were SOOOO messed up about for awhile, but they love her now. But even still, they want me to marry a Korean man.

The thing is... I am so Americanized that I didn't think I could. I started dated American guys and half-American guys and just was missing something.

I guess in the end, for me, I discovered that with a second generation korean guy I didn't have to explain some things... they were just understood and that also there are just some types of emotions/experiences that can only be described with Korean words and therefore don't really exist in American culture.. (i dont know)

I guess for me, my parents will get what they want.. their daughter marrying a korean guy even though he might be a banana =)

12:26 PM, March 21, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh wait.. one more thing...

Ammending the above comment

that is all dependent upon if any Korean men can stand my white-washed butt =)

12:28 PM, March 21, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home