Sunday, February 25, 2007

Canada Fitness

I have been trying to exercise more as of late, but sometimes I'm just not motivated. I think I need to have some sort of program that gives you a reward or that I should set a goal to achieve. Although, setting personal goals aren't great motivation for me. Current gym programs do offer good goal setting measures. Maybe I was brainwashed when I was a kid that I need an actual reward to be motivated.

I remember in elementary school, they used to have a program called "Canada Fitness." Each year, it was mandatory that every student participate in this program. We were to perform a series of tests that involved push-ups, chin-ups, and a lot of running. After all the tests were complete, a cumulative score was tabulated and you were awarded either a bronze, silver, gold, or red badge. The red was the highest honour you could achieve and in addition you received a certificate from the government for the "Award of Excellence." The worst was being awarded none of those and receiving a small plastic white pin for participation.

I remember how kids used to hide their small plastic white pins because they would feel so ashamed. They were also made fun of and maybe that's why the program was abolished after I think when I was in Grade 5.

We used to have this one test where we would race against other kids. It really wasn't a race because the score was based on personal time. But to us kids, it really was a race to see who was the best. I felt sorry but also made fun of the fat kids who had to do this test. We can be so cruel as kids.

I never received a bronze for my efforts. I've received mostly gold and maybe one or two silver. I was jealous of my brother because he got mostly red for the "Award of Excellence" and maybe one gold.

It strikes me that in one sense, the program was really not a good one because it ranked kids on one general system, but on the other, a lot of kids these days don't even have gym as part of their curriculum which has led to our current high level of obesity.

I think some sort of new program like Canada Fitness except without the rankings would really benefit our youth of today. I certainly feel the Canada Fitness program helped in providing me a healthier lifestyle as a child than kids today who watch a lot of TV and play video games. Kind of funny now that after work that's what I do is watch a lot of TV and play video games. I should get off my butt.

Peace.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ya know, you can just play a ton of Wii =) my sister's friend tried starting his workouts VERY slow by playing Wii all the time and before he knew it, the boxing game had him losing inches as well as weight =)

SO, for the unmotivated, perhaps the Wii can appeal to the inner gamer in you and trick your body into working out.

As for me (also unmotivated) I have to workout in groups/classes to push myself =)

Debbie

7:03 AM, February 27, 2007  
Blogger S. said...

yeah working out with other people -- even strangers -- has been motivating for me. group classes are awesome. doing it on my own has often had me quit in the past.

1:07 PM, February 27, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home