Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Quarter-life Crisis

Some people (I won't say who), want me to update more frequently. I just don't operate that way so I'll try and make an effort, emphasis on "try." Lately, I've been thinking about the future and I find myself waking up every morning depressed. I don't know if it's because I feel I haven't accomplished much in life yet or if I'm just tired and grumpy when I wake up. My job is good, but I know it's not something I will do for the rest of my life.

My life has been pretty routine. I put in a full day of work, come home and watch TV or exercise. After dinner, I play the Nintendo Wii for an hour or so, watch more TV, surf the Internet, and then watch the news. I have bible study one night a week and on weekends, I sleep in and try to go out with my friends.

Sometimes, I think of just taking off to some island and make a living as a simple fisherman. Other times, I think of hooking up with a sailing team and traveling the world. I would also love to be a treasure hunter. I think it's in my blood to want to get out there and do something different.

My dad, for example, knew in high school he didn't want to live in Korea after he graduated. At the age of 23, he decided to move to Vietnam and work for a company contracted out to the US military during the Vietnam War. He told me it was difficult to sleep for the first couple of weeks because of the echoing sounds of bombs being dropped and the rapid gunfire, but he got used to it. He then moved to Saudi Arabia to work for another company for a couple of years when he thought of moving to Canada. My dad actually made a trip to Iran to obtain a Canadian visa because they had offices there. Strange to think it was possible back then and look where we are now with the US and the Middle East.

I think I may be going through a "quarter-life crisis." But overall, I'd say I'm pretty happy with my life. I continue to ponder, but will need to get motivated. There are things I do want to accomplish and I think this year will be a good one for me to set the right course.

Peace.

6 Comments:

Blogger Mindy said...

Oh A-train...don't have a quarter-life crisis! At least you are not a creepy old man yet...you have lots of time to see the world and live your life!

11:58 AM, February 01, 2007  
Blogger Aaron said...

Arnold, I understand what you're feeling - I have a great job, yet it is so hard to get up in the morning to go to work. I also feel that I really want to go out and do something different, go on an adventure or something. But in the end, I am still pretty happy with my life.

12:40 PM, February 01, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

john kim here. A-train, we should ditch our jobs and go travelling. How about a trip to the motha-land? and meet some fine korean honeys? :P Or we could just go visit Joe in Portland.

3:47 AM, February 03, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

read wild at heart by John Eldridge

3:48 AM, February 03, 2007  
Blogger S. said...

hi arnie, you have groundhog day syndrome! ironic, as yesterday (feb 2) was groundhog day. i had it too when i worked at the CCC office and the routine killed my spirit. that's when i knew it was time to break out of that. i think you said it best when you said you "want to get out there and do something different." if there isn't going to be a drastic change, it's good to take breaks. atleast that way you know you're alive :)

9:58 PM, February 03, 2007  
Blogger PakG1 said...

Chee, I thought I had sole claim on the fisherman thing...

An interesting quote I read the other day.

"Every morning, I wake up and ask myself if today was my last day on earth, would I really want to do what I am about to do today. If the answer is no for too many days in a row, then there is a need for me to change what I am doing."

Interesting, I was thinking of applying it.

4:34 PM, February 05, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home