Monday, February 19, 2007

You Know You're A Vancouverite When

There's more out there, but these ones apply to me the most.

1. You know the mountains are located north. In fact, you use them to get your bearing when lost.
2. Checking the weather means looking out the window.
3. You hate the Calgary Flames.
4. You consider anything below 5 degrees to be freezing.
5. Deciding where to eat is a matter of deciding what type of food you’re in the mood for: Japanese, Chinese, Mexican, Italian, etc.
6. You know where the two Starbucks corner is downtown.
7. You know all the T.V. shows and movies filmed in Vancouver.
8. The whole city shuts down over less than a foot of snow.
9. You know many jokes about Slurry… Surrey.
10. The concept of skiing, golfing, and sailing in the same day does not seem impossible to you.
11. You can pronounce Tsawwassen, Squamish, Osoyoos, Ucluelet, Esquimalt, Sooke, and Nanaimo.
12. You know the Vancouver Canucks started the ‘white towel’ trend in sports.
13. Rent and housing prices make you cringe.
14. You know the Canucks have never won the Stanley Cup.
15. You’ve been lost in Richmond because you thought making two right turns would get you back on to the main road.
16. Hal Johnson and Joanne McLeod had more influence on your daily life than Vladimir Putin.
17. You have several public transit stories involving: drunks, crazy people, and teenagers.
18. A yellow light means keep going and a red light means three more
cars.
19. Finding parking takes longer than it did to drive there.
20. If you hear someone is doing the Grind, you know they’re not hitting the books.
21. In winter, you go to work in the dark and come home in the dark.
22. You have actually used your mountain bike on a mountain.
23. The cars in the student parking lot are way nicer than the cars in the staff parking lot.
24. Lululemon is not just a clothing brand but a way of life. (for girls and, probably should be less, guys).
25. A one hour parking spot equals minimum wage.
26. You know what ‘The Big One’ means.

5 Comments:

Blogger S. said...

hi arnold, about 1/3 of these are true for me. The hockey references go over my head. #1 is just about the first thing I learned when we moved to Vancouver. Also, #18 is annoyingly true, and I must admit I run yellow lights more often than I'd like, but I don't do the red light thing. 4, 8 and 17 are also true :)

10:19 AM, February 20, 2007  
Blogger Arnold said...

Yeah, I can see how only some are true of you. As Brian would say, "She's from Dubai." hahaha.

Peace.

11:34 AM, February 20, 2007  
Blogger S. said...

HA HA! Brian would totally say that! :) I am only 1/3 Canuck. "We are all 1/3 Canucks." That's my tongue-in-cheek remark about Canadian immigration and multiculturalism :P

11:15 PM, February 20, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

john kim here. wow, I guess I'm still a vancouverite in principle eh? I tried calling when I was in town but don't know if I dialled wrong.

2:51 PM, February 23, 2007  
Blogger David said...

Hi Arnold. Thanks for using my list, I assume you're also a member of the Facebook group.

For any of those reading who don't have facebook, I have made a blog with the entire list as well as a page on Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Mkdw/Vancouverite

12:16 AM, March 13, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home