Tuesday, June 03, 2008

Shanghai Kiss

I watched this movie called "Shanghai Kiss," and it was very good. It stars Ken Leung (Rush Hour, X-Men: The Last Stand), Hayden Panettiere (Heroes), and Kelly Hu (X2, The Scorpion King). The film is about "Liam Liu (Ken Leung), a Chinese American actor living in Los Angeles who unwittingly gets involved with a high school girl. He suddenly has to go to China after learning from his father that he has inherited his grandmother's home in Shanghai. He's not very appreciative of his Chinese roots and at first only wants to sell the house and get back to the U.S. as fast as possible. He gets a taste of the Chinese culture after meeting a girl there and ends up having some big decisions to make (wikipedia.org)."

This film was like a biopic of my brother. He was actually thinking of making something similar to this and told me about it before I found out about this film. But maybe someone beat him to it because a number of American or Canadian-born Asians can relate to the material. I could definitely relate to some of the experiences in the film that I felt when I was in Korea last October.

Here is a short clip from the movie when Liam Liu lands in Shanghai. I love the soundtrack accompanying this clip. The song is called "Nothing But The Sky" by Ivy.



Peace.

1 Comments:

Blogger S. said...

Hey Arno, this looks good. I'll have to watch it sometime as it's a topic I'm definitely into. I can totally relate to that feeling as well, even though I wasn't raised in the western world. I wasn't raised in India either. We analyzed films like this in my postcolonialism class at SFU which also had to do with other closely related topics like the Asian diaspora, immigration and fluid identities.

7:30 PM, June 03, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home