Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Goodbye Westbeach


Last Saturday night, I was walking down 4th Avenue with my buddy to go out for dinner when I noticed Westbeach shop was gone. My buddy, Justin, said, "It's an end of an era." We remember it used to be so popular back in the 90s. I bought my Burton snowboard bindings there and still use my velcro Westbeach wallet. I was saddened, but things change. It has now been re-branded as Showcase. Apparently, Showcase Snowboards was one of the first snowboard shops in Whistler and has been a strong brand up there so it's good to know the shop is in good hands.

A fact I didn't know is that Westbeach was started by Chip Wilson who founded Lululemon Athletica.

I also learned Westbeach as a clothing brand is still alive and kicking it. Their stuff can be ordered online as they celebrate their 30th year since its inception in 1979. I remember the guys in my Grade 12 year wearing Westbeach hoodies with four multi-coloured dudes carrying a surfboard. I also remember guys sporting the Westbeach branded snowboards, although I don't think they were very good boards. I really just loved the clothes they made. Ah...the memories.

Peace.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

HEH YEAH ! Celebrating 30 years of westbeach clothing....

Look for our 30th Anniversary book out this fall and click the link to check our heritage blog.

Thanks for 30 good years.

http://www.westbeach.com/heritage/default.aspx

9:16 AM, February 19, 2009  
Blogger Mindy said...

Hey...that's sad news! I only like the clothing but still...it reminds me of BC!

11:57 AM, February 24, 2009  

Post a Comment

<< Home