Friday, December 05, 2008

The Reason for Saying "Eh!"

I was reading a blog about the Toronto Raptors hiring of Jay Triano. He will become the first Canadian-born coach to run an NBA team tonight. He used to coach the SFU (my alma mater) men's basketball team from 1988-1995.

In this blog by Mike Ulmer of Raptors.com, I found it intriguing as to why many Canadians use the word "eh" in their conversations. I felt compelled to quote him in my blog because it makes sense to me.

"Americans often tease about the Canadian habit to end sentences with the word "eh." I like 'eh.' It is an invitation to agreement or at least more dialogue. I've always felt it was better to end a sentence with a question mark than an exclamation point. One piece of punctuation invites input. The other silences it. It's a key distinction that really speaks to who we are." - Mike Ulmer

I've always used the word "eh" in my conversations and never thought it was a bad thing. It's another thing that identifies us as proud Canadians next to our love for hockey.

Peace.

1 Comments:

Blogger Mindy said...

Hey, I like your new blog look. And this dude's definition. It's funny because the staff here (British and American) say that since they have been hanging out with me, they have starting saying "eh".

3:40 AM, December 06, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home