Sunday, April 05, 2009

Ambulance Ride

I don't remember the last time my body felt as weird as it did this weekend. Yesterday morning, I went for a haircut and headed to the recreation centre to work out and go for a swim. After exercising, I felt totally awesome and as soon as I got home, I started to feel some loose bowel movement which meant I had to prepare for some D train. I thought I would be okay as I felt totally fine, but I was wrong. I ended up sitting on the throne at least ten times, too many to count. I wonder if it was the fish I ate the night before.

After the D train subsided, I decided maybe I should eat dinner which might help harden the stools and I was really hungry anyway. After hitting the toilet once more I didn't have to go to the bathroom after that. Feeling fine, I decided to hook up with my buddy Justin at midnight to go for a drink. I ordered a strawberry shake at a Vietnamese restaurant. Then, as soon as I got home I started to feel some pain in my abdominal area, but I felt maybe it will go away while I sleep.

At 5 am this morning, the pain in my abdomen was excruciating. It was aching and burning, and I decided maybe if I go to the bathroom I'd get some relief, but no. I was thinking at the time, could my appendix be ruptured? I didn't want to take a chance that it wasn't the case so I dialed 911. This is the first time I ever dialed that number. I explained my pain to dispatch and she sent an ambulance over to my place.

I met the paramedics at the door and took a ride in the ambulance to the hospital. A lot of documentation was taken during the ride and when I got to the hospital they processed me pretty quickly. I did some tests and before I knew it I was lying in a hospital bed. The doctor came in and asked what my symptoms were. He pretty much knew right away it wasn't my appendix, and explained that I had stomach acid. I drank this nasty concoction that freezes the stomach to eliminate the pain. He gave me a bunch of Antacid tablets and told me I was good to go home. I then asked the staff which hospital I was at and they laughed. I had no idea since I got a ride there. They pointed me in the direction of where the buses were.

It was beautiful and sunny this morning, and I took the wrong bus. I thought the bus I was taking would take me home in about ten minutes, but I ended up getting the grand tour of my city which took forty minutes. I then hopped onto the Skytrain and headed home and went to bed.

My loose bowel movements have come back and I hope it clears up soon. It's been a weird couple of days because when I have D train I generally have other symptoms like a fever, headache, muscle aches, vomiting...you know what a flu feels like. But this time I feel completely fine except for my bowels.

I'm thankful to be living in Canada because had I been in the States, that ambulance ride would have cost me at least $1000 against an insurance policy and would have affected probably my decision whether or not to go. I'm glad we have universal health care.

Peace.

3 Comments:

Blogger Mindy said...

Wow dude, glad you are okay! Oh no, A train with D Train. Bad combo. Sounds like food poisoning to me.

6:39 AM, April 08, 2009  
Blogger Kirsten said...

that was clever Mindy... A train with D train.
i'm glad you're okay Arnold! are you feeling better now?

12:47 PM, April 20, 2009  
Blogger Kirsten said...

actually, i presume you are better. i just looked at the date on the date on the post and it was april 5.

12:48 PM, April 20, 2009  

Post a Comment

<< Home