Wednesday, March 08, 2006

They don't ask, they enroll you

I received a call this evening from my credit card company telling me about these benefits I can get for a small monthly charge. The thing that bothered me was that the sales rep didn't ask me, but assumed I wanted the benefits by enrolling me and asked me to confirm my information. I was like "hold up!" and I told him to just send me the information and I'll think about it. He was quite pushy and said I was missing a great opportunity yada yada...and I can cancel anytime. I told him I don't want to enroll in something I don't know much about and then receive the info 30 days later. He kept pushing and I was like look man, just send me the info and that's it.

I've been noticing companies are assuming you want things and just want to confirm your info so they can enroll you. I think that's a sly tactic and pretty rude to not ask you if you want it and confirming to enroll before they actually ask if you want it.

Another thing I noticed was the sales rep had a pretty thick Indian accent. I wonder if he's calling from India because I saw this pretty good documentary about Indian call-centre employees on CBC. I know American credit card companies have set up call-centres there so that they can save money and increase their profits. They actually have their employees go to accent reduction classes to sound more American. Interesting stuff.

Peace.

3 Comments:

Blogger Nat said...

Arrgg. I hate it when they do that. Often times I just hang up when they aren't listening to me - it's quite satisfying really. Glad to see you blogging more often. :o)

9:11 PM, March 08, 2006  
Blogger S. said...

Hey I saw that on CBC too. Crazy about how so many jobs are being outsourced to India. Maybe he works on commission so he was being pushy. I just hate all of those unsolicited calls. My credit card company usually mails me the info and I've never got a call from them but I hate getting the junk mail too. Apparently we're just consumers.

2:18 PM, March 09, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Here's what you do next time they call. Just repeat these words, "Hi Jonny, it's mommy!!" *sound like my mom when doing this for best results* And if they try to interrupt just keep saying it.
Awesome.
John

9:41 PM, March 09, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home