Friday, November 03, 2006

Burj Dubai


When I was in Grade 4 (9 years old), my dream job was to become an architect. I held onto that dream until about Grade 7 when I started thinking about becoming a doctor. But of course my reality is that I'm a Mail Room Clerk for a university which is okay with me.

Ever since then, I've always had a deep fascination with buildings. The place to see some of the best architecture in the world is in the City of Chicago. I went there to visit my cousins after I finished my degree and fell in love with the city.

This evening, I was chillin' with my dad as he read a newspaper and I watched TV. He calls TV, "tedih-bee." He loves to show me things in the Korean newspaper. Even though he loves being a Canadian, he still has pride in his native land, Korea. He showed me an article about the construction of the world's tallest building called the "Burj Dubai." Besides the fact that it's going to be the world's tallest building, he was proud to say that Samsung Corporation, a South Korean company, won the bid to construct the building at a deal worth $850 million.

Here are some facts.
  • "Burj Dubai" in the United Arab Emirates will be the world's tallest building when completed in November 2008.
  • The building will stand approximately 2,640 feet (800 metres) high and have 160 floors.
  • The lead architect is Adrian Smith of the Chicago office of Skidmore, Owings and Merrill.
  • The design of Burj Dubai is ostensibly derived from the patterning systems embodied in Islamic architecture. (Source: wikipedia.org)
Visit the official website at Burj Dubai.



As of October 23rd 2006, the Burj Dubai was at 81 stories and 931 feet (283 meters) tall.



Peace.

5 Comments:

Blogger S. said...

I grew up there. Those buildings are constructed by underpaid, under-privileged, mostly Indian men on working visas, slaving under the heat of the desert sun. And for what? Just another Tower of Babel if you ask me.

12:19 AM, November 04, 2006  
Blogger Arnold said...

Yeah, apparently they get paid like $7.60/day. There's big labour disputes and poor working conditions in the UAE. Cheap labour abounds and huge corporations will take advantage no matter what. Those are the sins of man, pride and greed. But out of that context, I like the building design.

12:37 AM, November 04, 2006  
Blogger Arnold said...

The working conditions for constructing the Beijing summer olympics is just as worse in addition to the fact the country itself has human rights issues. And they call it the games of uniting humanity.

12:42 AM, November 04, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

what a beautiful building~~!! I would go to UAE just to go see it.
Did you hear about the artifical islands that are being made off the coast of some arabic country?? they are in the shape of palm trees~!! i saw it on the discovery channel. =)

Debbie

P.S. I DId squeeze the wound for added "ew" effect =)

2:32 PM, November 06, 2006  
Blogger Mindy said...

Yeah I totally saw that show about those islands shaped like a palm tree...oh dear I think someone's over-doing it. I saw a show once that showed one of the richest men in UAE. He had a car with giant, giant tires. Apparently each on cost like $25,000.

9:47 PM, November 20, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home