Saturday, August 12, 2006

Anything Goes

On Thursday night, my friends from church and I saw our friend, Jimmy Yi, in a musical called "Anything Goes" in North Vancouver. The music and lyrics are by Cole Porter with songs including "You're the Top", "I Get a Kick Out of You", and "Anything Goes." My buddy, Dan, told me the song "Anything Goes" is the opening scene of "Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom," where Willie Scott (Kate Capshaw) sings the title song in Catonese at a Shanghai club Indiana Jones (Harrison Ford) is visiting.

The musical was hilarious and Jimmy did an awesome job as Moonface Martin, a gangster on the run posing as a minister. I also saw an old friend, Leo Chiu, from my Campus Crusade days at SFU play the part of Elisha J. Whitney. I haven't seen him in ages, what a small world.

I really enjoy live musicals and plays. There's something about the human connection one feels to a live act rather than watching something on screen. I used to watch a number of plays at the Vancouver Playhouse and Gateway Theatre in my English 11 Honours class. The last play I saw, "The Sound of Music," was in a small town in the greater Chicago area with my cousins a few years ago. Amateur theatre is great.


1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know you mean about enjoying live performances... I've grown to love theater from having a roommie who is an actress =)

You should try and check out "I love you. You're perfect. Now change."

its hilarious =)

7:24 AM, August 15, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home