Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Susie Suh


No, she is not my girlfriend, but Susie Suh is a great Korean American singer and songwriter. I fell in love with her music after hearing a sample of her on a track called "Finger Paint" by Zion I. I did a search and found out Susie Suh was the voice on that track. I ended up on her myspace listening to her debut solo tracks.

I looked for her debut CD in stores, but couldn't find it. Thank goodness for the Internet because a few days ago, I received her CD in the mail after ordering it through Amazon. I thoroughly enjoy each song because they are filled with such raw emotion and are reflections of her personal experiences in life. No fluff here. I hope she comes up to Vancouver one day and play. Check out her site at either www.myspace.com/susiesuh or www.susiesuh.com.


"Although Suh has lived in the United States her entire life, both of her parents are immigrants who moved to southern California from Korea in the '60s. Suh's involvement with music began when she was only eight and joined a Korean children's choir, whose repertoire ranged from traditional Korean songs to American pop. At 13, Suh left Los Angeles for New Hampshire, where she attended a boarding school and did her share of songwriting during her adolescent years; Suh was around 17 when she recorded a six-song EP, pressed 1,000 copies onto CDs, and managed to sell about 700 of them to her schoolmates. After reaching adulthood, Suh attended Brown University in Rhode Island (where she obtained a degree in English), but spent as much time as she could visiting New York City and performing in Lower Manhattan clubs. A career in music is not something that Suh's ambitious parents encouraged — in fact, they tried to talk her out of it and encouraged her to go into a more stable, less volatile line of work. Music, they asserted, should be nothing more than a hobby for Suh. But her parents' lack of support didn't discourage the L.A. native; if anything, it inspired her to persevere and work even harder at having a career in music. "Your Battlefield," one of Suh's songs, was inspired by her career-related disagreements with her parents.

In 2003, Suh signed with Epic/Sony; she ended up working with Glen Ballard, a well-known producer/songwriter/arranger whose lost list of credIt's ranges from No Doubt to Paula Abdul to Alanis Morissette — it was Ballard who produced Morissette's 1995 blockbuster, Jagged Little Pill. At first, Ballard only agreed to produce a few songs for Suh, but he was so impressed with her work that he ended up producing her entire debut album (a self-titled CD that Epic released in April 2005)." (Source: Alex Henderson from alwaysontherun.net, 2006)

Peace.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow... she's really good~!

Her style of singing kind of reminds me of Sarah McLachlan except her (Susie) voice has more depth.

Too bad she isn't touring anywhere nearby.... I would def check her out.

Thanks for the POST!

Debbie

7:20 AM, December 05, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

One more thing...

You should check out Niki Barr (her earlier stuff "No Frills"-Debut) sounds like Susie minus some professional sound engineering. I hope you can find it.. it was really good especially Shades of Gray, but her newer stuff is pretty good but much, much harder (even though it is not my type of music.)

www.nikibarr.com - tell me what you think.

-d

7:24 AM, December 05, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was thinking more like jewel meets diana krall. but I don't know anything. ignore me. jk

11:45 AM, December 05, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i promise that I am not crazy... lol I will send an MP3 of niki's stuff before she went all... crazy hard. =)

1:31 PM, December 05, 2006  
Blogger PakG1 said...

I love these kinds of artists. Thanks!

11:07 AM, December 20, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home