Tuesday, October 12, 2004

Saved!

I had heard about a controversial film called "Saved!" when it came out in theatres at about the same time "The Passion of the Christ" came out. Some Christians have condemned this movie while others have welcomed it. It just recently came out on DVD and I was gonna watch it with my buddy, Tom, but we went to Playdium instead. Who can say no to video games. But the following evening, I went to Blockbuster and rented it.

This is a summary of the plot taken from imdb.com.

Mary (Jena Malone) is a good Christian girl who goes to a good Christian high school in Baltimore where she has good Christian friends, mainly Hilary Faye (Mandy Moore), and a perfect Christian boyfriend, Dean (Chad Faust). Her life seems perfect, until the day that she finds out that Dean may be gay. After "seeing" a vision of Jesus in her pool, she does everything in her power to help him turn straight, including offering up her virginity. But none of it helps because Dean's caught and sent to a "degayification" center and Mary ends up pregnant. It's during her time of need that she becomes real friends with the school's set of "misfits," including Cassandra (Eva Amurri), the school's only Jewish girl; Roland (Macaulay Culkin), Hilary Faye's wheelchair bound brother, and Patrick (Patrick Fugit), the skateboarder son of the school's principal, Pastor Skip (Martin Donovan); whilst Hilary Faye turns her into a social outcast.

After having watched the film, I would say it was quite good. The movie played on a lot of stereotypes that made me laugh. I have been going through some faith struggles and trying to understand what it means to be a Christian. I remember times where I have been so wrapped up in a Christian bubble that I forgot about the world. I had to watch what I became in how I viewed others. Sadly, I have to say the film does in a way portray some Christian communities. Some Christians do not realize their own sinfulness and judge others harshly. Some I have met in church are so plastic that it drives me up the wall. Why can't they be real with who they are and express what they feel? I believe it's the fear of being exposed as a sinner. But that's the beauty of God's love and forgiveness. We all make mistakes. We learn from them. There are also those Christians I have met who are genuine and loving.

The film mostly taught me about being under the law versus being under grace. It also reminded me of loving and accepting others for who they are. The secular workplace teaches me that everyday. Here are some mixed reviews from a Christian website I found. Interesting points of view eh?

Negative - Portraying young "Christians" as ignorant, brain-washed racists -- this movie is another example of Hollywood's liberal bias against conservative Christianity. If this movie was based instead on Judaism, Islam, or any other religious faith, it would be soundly condemned and stir up civil disobedience in protest. Yet Christ and Christians are considered good and acceptable targets in liberal media today. I recommend that all people - especially Christians - stay away from this blasphemous movie.
-Jonathan L, age 25

Positive - What viewers of the film should keep in mind is that the characters who were considered the outcasts were not rejecting Jesus per se. What they rejected was the community which labelled them and ostracized them based on who they were and what they were going through. Make no mistake about it, Jesus was all about unconditional love. The laws, rules and standards that have been justified and institutionalized in his name came after the fact.
-D Skelto, age 37

If you've seen the movie, post a comment. I'd like to know your thoughts.

Peace.

2 Comments:

Blogger Mindy said...

I really want to see that movie too! Thanks for posting those comments, that was interesting. Yeah, you gotta take the humor lightly, and not get to serious about it, I guess.

10:54 PM, October 12, 2004  
Blogger Aaron said...

I saw this movie in the summer in the theatre one night. Have you ever been to that theatre on Broadway and 5th? It has a balcony in it! Needless to say we sat up there. Anyways on with the movie. I thought that it was interesting, at the time I wouldn't have recommended anyone seeing it in the theatre. I didn't find it "wickedly funny" as I read in one advertisement, there were some humorous parts, but is was more sobering than funny. Sobering because it presented some truth with how some Christians only care about getting people converted because that's what Christians do. In reality I think it should be out of love why you share what Jesus has done for us. Focusing on the person rather than the act of conversion. For a christian audience I think it presented things to examine in your own life and see if you were doing these things. Basically the movie exagerrated common, maybe common is the wrong word, but I'll use it anyway, exagerrated common ideas or actions in Christian people. The unfortunate side of this movie is that the mainstream audience will view and could get the impression that that is what Christianity is really like and be turned off of it. Those are my general thoughts. It would be interesting to find out what Michael Stipe's purpose or plan was when he made this movie. (I'm a big R.E.M. fan (Michael Stipe's the lead singer) so it makes it more interesting to me.)

11:20 PM, October 17, 2004  

Post a Comment

<< Home