Thursday, November 11, 2004

Rants From The Paint Can

Over the past 5 months, my dad and I have been doing renovations to the house. We've been installing new wood laminate flooring and painting the walls. It's taken this long because my dad has only one day off a week. At first painting was fun. Then it got really unfun. The prep work takes the longest. You have to tape the door and window frame, window sill, and electrical outlets. I'd have to say painting the ceiling sucks. When using white paint, it's difficult to tell what's being painted and you have to go over the same area numerous times. Your neck just kills from constantly looking up.

Painting is very messy and it's amazing how paint just appears on you out of nowhere. Paint sprayed into the eyes is annoying. Sometimes I forget I have wet paint on my feet and I start tracking it onto the new wood laminate flooring. Frustrated, I have to get a wet paper towel to clean up the footprints before they dry. Painting corners and edges are awful especially when you have to go around the room twice. All this takes like a few hours whereas the walls take like twenty minutes with a roller. The roller is helpful but sometimes I get carried away and go too fast. Then, I end up painting the window or the closet door. This is another frustrating experience, and I have to get another wet paper towel to clean that up.

I wish I could buy a paint can bomb. All I would do is place the paint can in the middle of the room and set the timer for it to explode. After it explodes the paint would dry smooth and even all over the room. This would eliminate all the headaches I've been through.

Peace.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey A-train,
ha ha, I know what you mean. I had to do the same before we sold my old place. Now, I just buy some christmas wrapping paper, reverse it, and put it on the wall. You can't tell the difference.

John

3:35 PM, November 11, 2004  
Blogger PakG1 said...

You could spray, I suppose, but that'd be unhealthy with all the fumes.

7:00 PM, November 11, 2004  
Blogger kelly ens said...

hey arnold - i'm a friend of stefanie's. i feel your pain with the renovation - i helped my parents with their's a few years ago. a new, revolutionary product is at home depot. it's this white ceiling paint that paints on light blue, but dries white, so you know where you painted. doesn't help with the sore neck problem, but at least you don't re-paint the same section 9 times.

12:43 PM, November 16, 2004  

Post a Comment

<< Home