Tuesday, October 19, 2004

Action Figures



I've begun collecting action figures this year and just recently I bought two Lord of the Rings characters. One is Aragorn and the other a Ring Wraith. The Ring Wraith is really cool looking in its dark ragged cloak with no head. Aragorn can't pose well and kinda looks like gumby. I tried pulling his arms down, but it was impossible. Other action figures I have on my desk are T-800 The Terminator Model 101 and Morpheus sitting in a couch from the movie, The Matrix. These figures are from McFarlane Toys and are the most detailed action figures I've seen. They've had problems in the past making The Terminator look like Arnold, but this year with the new T3 model, it actually looks like him. For the longest time, I've been looking for T-X Terminatrix. If you ever see it, buy it and I will pay you back. The wanted figure is show above. The cool thing with action figures is that you can set them up to do different scenes. I guess that's the adult way. The other way is playing with them, but then I'm too old for that. My bro thinks I'm weird having these action figures seeing that I'm not a kid anymore.

In high school, I had some old GI Joe figures that I use to set up in the backyard and shoot with my bro's BB gun. It was good times. But I'd never shoot the marvelous pieces of artwork displayed on my desk. They're my precious.

Peace.

7 Comments:

Blogger Mindy said...

You are a nerd!! Action figures?? don't influence Tom in this or I may have to take all those precious toys of yours hostage and make you pay a big ransom. You want a hot chick action figure? Sounds a little sketchy to me...:) By the way, I laughed out loud when I read the comment you left on my blog.

Later Action figure boy

10:37 AM, October 20, 2004  
Blogger S. said...

How are they different from dolls? Just curious what a fan of action figures thinks ...

10:48 AM, October 20, 2004  
Blogger Arnold said...

For most action figure collectors (as well as doll collectors), the difference between an action figure and a doll is vague. It's not something that you can explain to someone, but the difference is apparent when you see it. As soon as you see the toy in the store, or as soon as you remove it from its packaging, you know which it is.

The term "action figure" was coined by Don Levine who created GI Joe in the early 1960s. Hasbro wanted to cash in on the success Mattel had with BarbieĀ® only in the boy's market. The problem was that no American parent in the early 1960s was going to buy their son a doll. Thus, a new name had to be given to the product so that parents could buy it for their boys.
(Source from actionfigures.about.com)

To sum up, an action figure is basically a doll, but a cool doll that's not a doll, but an action figure. Let's just leave it at that Stef.

Peace.

11:15 PM, October 20, 2004  
Blogger S. said...

Sure, we can leave it there ... especially since I wasn't planning on "taking" it anywhere :) I think it's cool I just never met anyone with an appreciation for action figures so I wanted to know what they thought. And dolls are cool too. I used to have tonnes of Barbies, which is weird now that I think about it. I even had two Kens and a kitchen! But I really liked Cabbage Patch dolls.

8:21 PM, October 21, 2004  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Different scenes eh? Adult way EH?? Just what scenes are you going to do with Aragon and the Terminatrix pervy boy??? ;P

How've you been bro? I'm thinking of coming out West for a short visit again. I still have seven days (72 hours of annual leave) but I'm still saving up and trying to pay down my debt from a year ago.

money money money money....money! good things good things good things bad things....doodoo doodoo doodoo,doodooooooooo...

5:45 PM, October 22, 2004  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Different scenes eh? Adult way EH?? Just what scenes are you going to do with Aragon and the Terminatrix pervy boy??? ;P

How've you been bro? I'm thinking of coming out West for a short visit again. I still have seven days (72 hours of annual leave) but I'm still saving up and trying to pay down my debt from a year ago.

money money money money....money! good things good things good things bad things....doodoo doodoo doodoo,doodooooooooo...

John

5:45 PM, October 22, 2004  
Blogger Arnold said...

Tom, I tried looking for that store online, but I can't find it. Do you have the contact info?

Peace.

5:12 PM, October 28, 2004  

Post a Comment

<< Home