Tuesday, March 21, 2006

Arctic Astronaut

I wrote a 90 multiple choice exam this morning for a Meteorological Observer position I applied for with the Canadian government. I was invited by Environment Canada to write the exam and it was pretty challenging. I think I passed. The next step is getting an interview. It's a longshot because only one position is offered and I'm sure hundreds have applied. But just got to try, wait, and see, eh?

The actual position is pretty cool. If hired, I would basically gather meteorological data, observe surface weather conditions, and maintain meteorological equipment. It's a two-year contract based in Stony Plain, Alberta and for a few months at a time I would work in the arctic at a research base in a place called Alert, Nunavut. It's the most northerly inhabited settlement in the world (close to the North Pole). They have bi-weekly deliveries of food, supplies, water, etc. The research base has it's own generator and there's a small team up there on a rotational basis. It's like being an astronaut. My dream job would have been an astronaut, but this position I applied for is pretty close to it.

I'm still waiting to hear back from the Canadian Coast Guard which I believe I have more of a chance of getting accepted into the college. We'll have to wait and see. I'm much more optimistic this year and it'll be exciting to see what God has planned for me.

Peace.

3 Comments:

Blogger t said...

good luck! can't wait to hear how it all turns out.

hope you are doing well!

9:51 PM, March 21, 2006  
Blogger S. said...

The North Pole huh? Hmm, I'll be sending you my wish-lists in December ;)

2:25 PM, March 22, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't know you but incase you are interested check out my webpage that I just created. I just accepted a position to Alert with Environment Canada. It would be doing what you applied for and it is based out of Stoney Plain as well. I am a 4th year atmos. at the U of A, but this position is only a 4 month intern, so it is obviously different than what you applied for. But thought it would arouse some interest out of you. check out http://takeofftothegreatwhitenorth.blogspot.com

8:41 AM, March 31, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home