Friday, June 16, 2006

Kendo


I recently started the martial art of Japanese fencing called Kendo which means "way of the sword." I had been thinking about trying a martial art other than Tae Kwon Do and my dad suggested I try Kendo. I contacted my instructor, Mr. Ara, who set me up by observing one of his practices first. After watching the practice, I was hooked.

My first practice began with basic form and technique with the bamboo sword. I also learned how to do a proper bow. Kendo is very formal and there are certain ways of doing things. I really like that aspect of the sport as it involves great discipline and concentration. It also builds confidence, character, and one's spirituality. In modern Kendo, there are strikes and thrusts. Strikes are only allowed on seven specific target areas on the head and body, all of which are protected by bogu (armour). Thrusts are only allowed to the throat, but are often restricted to more advanced levels. Kendo is not about winning the match, but how an attack is done firmly and properly to a specified target. If a technique is done correctly, a point is awarded.

I'm looking forward to becoming a well-trained swordsman. Combined with my hand-to-hand combat skills from Tae Kwon Do, I will be a force to be reckoned with. Watch out.

Peace.

4 Comments:

Blogger S. said...

Plus, let's not forget your "slap" hands! :)

12:49 PM, June 16, 2006  
Blogger Mindy said...

That's cool Arnold!!

5:32 PM, June 19, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ask them if you can use a red lightsaber and wear a Darth Vadar helmet!

8:07 PM, June 19, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

By the way, that last one was from me John eh? boo Oilers lost!!!

8:08 PM, June 19, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home