Thursday, June 01, 2006

Psychology Of Parenting

I was inspired by Stef to write about some of the weird things my parent's do. Growing up as a Canadian with a Korean background can be complicated. I mean it's true all parents are a bit weird and annoying at times, but it's even more problematic when dealing with cultural barriers. I guess that's what makes life fun and interesting.

Yesterday, I was helping my dad pull out some nails from some wood of our old balcony staircase in the backyard. Stef was playing with her dog, Axl, and my dad was trying to be a comedian like he usually does when my friends are around, making jokes about me and I making jokes about him. As I was finishing pulling nails, my dad calls out to me to help him pull a bag of rotten fish he kept in a garabage can into a new bag. The smell was so nasty. I was like why would you keep rotten fish lying around. Meanwhile, Stef was laughing and I couldn't help but think of all the other weird stuff my parents do.

For example, our front yard used to have 5 trees planted and I thought to myself are they trying to make a forest. I mean the other yards have maybe 1 or 2 trees, but 5 is a bit much. We have cut it down to 3 trees, so at least there's a bit of room.

My dad planted a bunch of hedges around our backyard, I guess for privacy. It's funny because two other neighbours did the same thing after. I think my dad started a movement.

Another thing my dad does is when I'm sitting on a couch in a darkened living room watching a movie. He'll come right in and turn on the light next to me to read a newspaper. Other times, he'll walk into the room with the cordless phone talking loudly to his friend. I'm like yo, I'm watching a movie. Our house isn't that small.

I love it when my dad asks my brother 20 questions everytime he sees him. It makes my brother so angry. I enjoy it because ever since my bro moved back home, my dad's asked me fewer questions.

Some of the things my mom does is whenever I have dinner there's usually something new on my plate that she knows I won't eat. I guess she thinks I'll eat them one day.

Another thing my mom does is she'll put up signs around the house warning me of any pending danger. Like the staircase is gone from the balcony and my dad actually put a bar across it to prevent anyone from falling, but yet my mom puts up a sticky on the sliding door window warning me. One time I forgot to flush the toilet and she put up a sign that said, "Flush."

I guess parents will be parents.

Peace.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

hilarious man. that's why I moved out! I'd go stir crazy if I had to stay with my folks.
John

4:15 AM, June 01, 2006  
Blogger S. said...

I love that you blogged about it! Your Dad is awesome, real fun to be around! I'm sure every family has weird stuff and most just put up a normal front. But why really? Definitely the cultural thing adds more humor. Parents are cool, we just have to learn to love their idiosyncracies.

1:27 PM, June 01, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

dude, that is hilarious....your mom rules...think about it man..post it notes..thats awesome...next time you come over I am going to have a "flush" post it note for you!

Dean

12:42 PM, June 02, 2006  
Blogger Nat said...

That is funny . . . My sister just informed me that my mum now leaves her notes on the whiteboard outside her bedroom door . . . it looks like I left just in time!

12:47 AM, June 03, 2006  
Blogger Mindy said...

That was a fun blog...parents are totally wierd at times, but I wonder if their parents were even wierder. That flush thing is hilarious.

10:46 AM, June 06, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

=)
it is so true about parents and the strange things they do.... my dad will call me on my cell even when I am in the same house just ask me what i am doing, but if he wants something, he'll yell down. =) My mom is a trip, she'll ask me a question and then not listen and then ask me again and not listen again =)

3:38 PM, June 13, 2006  
Blogger Emese said...

My dad hates traffic. When I was little we used to leave for family trips at like 3 in the morning just to be the rush.

4:48 PM, June 15, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home